Monday, February 8, 2010

The "Hallmark" Holiday

With Valentine's day less than a week away, I feel compelled to breakdown what a good friend of mine refers to as "The Hallmark Holiday." V-day is supposed to be a day of love and romance but seems to ignite more sparks of disagreement rather than love. Debate surrounds this day almost as much as the term Merry Christmas (which btw I think is crap, but that's a different soap box). So, here's my outlook...

Men have issues with this day because it forces them to be romantic on some level. My argument with that is well-maybe if you took the initiative the rest of the year to remind us that we are loved, we are beautiful, and we are the one you really do want f.o.r.e.v.e.r (despite our age, weight, or frizzy hair) women decades ago wouldn't have claimed this day as a way for you to make us feel special...now I didn't say this was a good argument, just the obvious one.

Women who have issues with this day are rarely in relationships. (Sorry, but it is true) However to be nice to these fragile hearts. Truth be told, there aren't many women who dislike Valentine's every year, their entire life.

Exception- As always there are exceptions. The rare man does exist who lives for the romance that can come on day such as February 14. I happen to know one such individual. He is a romantic at heart and he uses this very special day of love as an excuse to go over the top in his gestures, but not because that is what you are "supposed" to do but rather because it is who he is at his core, a true "romantic being." Equally rare- is the woman (who does exist) who believes that Valentines is truly just another another day to smile sweetly and be appreciative for what she has in a partner and speak from the heart just as she does each night before bed : ).

Personally, I am all three. I have had my moments of bitter disappointment spending my fair share of Valentine's day alone and absolutely cursing the day. I have had my time, admittedly sometimes strapped financially or maybe not in the best of relationships, where the last thing I wanted to do was be romantic. And then there are the times when I have spent romantic evenings being wined and dined at fine restaurants. As a woman I admit that celebrating Valentine's Day and succumbing to this hallmark holiday is much more enjoyable than fighting against it.

There are always going to be moments in life when we wish things were a different way but we can't change that Monday is Monday...we have no way of making it Friday so we just have to put on a smile and get through, then it's over before you know it...even the longest of days come to an end. So if you really hate this holiday I am sorry, but put on a smile and it will come to an end; and unlike Mondays you have an entire year until it comes your way again. The bottom line is ITS VALENTINES DAY ...ITS ABOUT LOVE. ANY KIND OF LOVE. Draw a heart on a piece of paper and give it to your mom, your dad, your child, your pet...it's about making someone smile and if you are lucky enough you may get one yourself. So maybe it is a "hallmark holiday" what's wrong that? My last "hallmark" was pretty phenomenal <3

No comments:

Post a Comment